Friday, October 24, 2008

A girl needs good family and friends

So I've had a pretty crappy week this week. Yes it involved my fair share of crying and stress.

I've had the week off from the hospital because the lady I work with has been on vacation. So, I decided it was a great time to work on the paper I have to do for my program. Yes this is the same paper I've mentioned in previous posts. I think I've referred to it as the ugly black cloud that hangs over my head. This isn't your average, everyday paper - it is supposed to be a publishable article (publishable in a scholarly journal). It's my programs version of a masters thesis. It is due the first week of November and I've been working diligently on it this week, and I'm happy to say I'm almost done with it. But if you want to know how much stress it's caused - I'll tell you. When I get really stressed out my muscles start twitching - arms, legs, eyes, really wherever. It's not some grotesque twitch that deforms me or anything like that. It's just a slight twitch that I feel and you can sometimes see and feel if you put your hand on it. I don't know why, but this is my indication of my stress level. If I'm twitching I'm on overload. Well the muscles in both of my legs are twitching. It makes me crazy. Try going to sleep with your legs twitching. They twitch until the stress is gone. Crazy I know, but true nonetheless. So there has been that this week among other things.

So my mom called the other day to talk and see how my paper was going, and I was venting about my stress over my paper. I wasn't in a very good mood to say the least. But I appreciate her listening to me and trying to understand. Then she asked about a fellow I've told her about and that's when I lost it and started crying. It's really not a big deal but with everything else it sent me over the edge to tears. Again my patient mom who listens and tries to understand and make things better. See what I mean about "a girl needs good family and friends"? So I told her that I just needed to get out of town and be with friends and relax a little. I told her I needed to go visit Shelly.

Shelly is my very best friend who happens to live in Connecticut. We were companions on our missions and then roommates. and that's been about 16 years now. We live very different lives - she's a wife and mom of 4 and I'm a single woman making the most of my life. She listens to me lament the life of a single woman and the annoyances involved with men and dating, and I listen to her lament the life of a mom of 4 and the challenges of getting her daughter to remember the states and their capitols. We both envy each other's lives at times. I think we help each other appreciate the lives we both live. Anyway her family has been my family since I moved to New York. Rick, her husband, makes sure I'm safe and sound and makes time for her and I to do things together. He's a good man. Her kids are the kids I need to be around when I need a kid fix and my nieces and nephews are 2000 miles away. Something just feels really good when you have a kid who is excited to talk to you on the phone or excited when you come to visit or wants to play something on the violin for you. And then Shelly just helps make things better. I always - and I mean always - laugh when I'm on the phone with Shelly. I hope she knows how much I've appreciated the support of her and her family since I've been here. Shoot she's the reason I'm here and doing what I'm doing. I owe her an awful lot. Again see what I mean about needing good family and friends?

And then today I had the pleasure of going to visit teach Mildred. When I first moved to New York and didn't really know a soul, I decided that visiting teaching was going to be the way I'd get to know people. I can actually say that was the first time I've really been excited to visit teach. I had the best companion and the two ladies we were assigned to visit were such a pleasure. My companion moved a couple years ago (I think it's been that long), and the ladies I visit have been changed except for Mildred. She's a 67 year old African American woman that I really don't have much in common with but I love visiting her. She's got such faith that Heavenly Father will take care of her. She's a convert to the church and just has a strong testimony. She's a good, good woman that really tries to do her best. It's inspiring. And to be able to go visit her just makes me feel better. Plus she tells me "Jodi you've got it going on". She's got some serious requirements for whatever fellow decides he wants to marry me. Now who wouldn't like that.

Anyway so with all the crappyness this week I've also had a good week and it's made me realize just how blessed I am. It's that whole opposition in all things. I truly am blessed to be here doing what I'm doing - even with the stress it causes me (I'll have to post a blog about how this all came to be cause it's a great story). And, I have the best family and friends this girl could ask for. And really I'm a happy, happy girl. Next week is a whole new week with whole new adventures in store for me to make the most of.

Now I better get back to my paper!

2 comments:

Wendi said...

Sorry to hear about all the twitching and tears. But it's good to hear that you have friends and family that care about you. That really does make a difference. Good luck with your paper. :)

Fostervision said...

sorry to hear about the stress, but I am soooo happy to be back in touch with you....and you know where Shelly is!!!!! I lost touch with her right after she had baby#1!!!!
Kim